[Beowulf] Re: "hobbyists"

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 19 20:25:22 EDT 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008 05:08:43 pm Joe Landman wrote:
> SElinux and Apparmor try to limit the damage
> even in a secure setting, though I am not sure how well they do
> there.

If you want/need to use things like Lustre, for instance, you can forgot
about SELinux and AppArmor, it simply doesn't work.

Isn't it a common practice in HPC to keep security rules relatively
relaxed *inside* a cluster (passwordless logins between compute nodes
for instance), whilst trying to harden the links to the external world?

I mean, most of the scientific applications haven't precisely been
designed with security as their first concern, have they?