[Beowulf] NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA, MD5, and "hobbyists"

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 19 17:39:42 EDT 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008 02:22:02 pm John Hearns wrote:
> One thing I've never understood, and hopefully someone on here can
> explain clearly, is why the onboard graphics is normally disabled
> when you add a PCI-e card.

It probably comes from the times when dual-head configurations were
still bleeding-edge, and when BIOS manufacturers assumed that if you
had a AGP/PCIe graphics card on your bus, you wanted to use it, rather
than the usually cheapo onboard chip.

Nowadays, NVIDIA's Hybrid-SLI [1] precisely aims to aggregate graphical
power from the onboard chip and add-in card(s) in heterogenous
configurations. So hopefully this trend will come to an end. At least
on NV mobos.