[Beowulf] NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA, MD5, and "hobbyists"

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 19 13:05:15 EDT 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008 12:17:07 am John Hearns wrote:
> Actually, I should imagine Kilian is referring to something else,
> not the inbuilt timeout which is in the documentation. But I can't
> speak for im.

I don't know about this timeout. As I said we didn't really had time nor
the resources to investigate the crashes. But I've definitely seen a
machine freeze when launching a binary containing CUDA code.

> I guess the art
> here is finding a motherboard with the right number and type of
> PCI-express slots to take both the companion box and a decent
> graphics card for X use.

AFAIK, the multi GPU Tesla boxes contain up to 4 Tesla processors, but
are hooked to the controlling server with only 1 PCIe link, right? Does
this spell like "bottleneck" to anyone?

Sure, moving data between host memory and GPU memory is not what you do
the most often, but still.