[Beowulf] SuperMicro and lm_sensors

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Jun 18 21:14:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 03:11:54PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> Speaking of lm_sensors, does anyone have configs for recent SuperMicro
> mobos? My SuperMicro support contact doesn't have ay idea, and running
> sensors-detect leaves me with lots of readings which are
> miscalibrated.

Thanks to the 3 people who wrote me with suggestions.

It appears that the magic is this:

* Upgrade to a newer version of lm_sensors (atrpms has 2.10.6,
   dunno if you can find lm_sensors3 rpms anywhere)
* Make sure your kernel has a driver for what sensors-detect
   detects

Since I'm on CentOS 5.1, I was behind in both respects, and the result
is that "sensors" prints nonsense -- it doesn't help that all of my
boxes have 2 winbond chips in them, with the older one being detected
and having a driver and having none of the interesting signals.

With both updates I get reasonable numbers.

-- greg