[Beowulf] NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA, MD5, and "hobbyists"

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 18 19:31:21 EDT 2008

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:

> We've also encountered somme oddities, like CUDA code freezing a machine
> running X.org (and using the proprietary NVIDIA driver),

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've read through much of the information
on their web site and I still don't understand the usage model for
CUDA. By that I mean, on a desktop machine, are you supposed to have
2 graphics cards, 1 for running CUDA code and one for regular
graphics? If you only need 1 card for both, how do you avoid the
problem you mentioned, which was also mentioned in the documentation?

Or, if you have a compute node that will sit in a dark room,
you aren't going to be running an X server at all, so you won't
have to worry about anything hanging?

How does this behavior change, if at all, when running Windows?

I'm planning on starting a pilot program to get the
chemists in my department to use CUDA, but I'm waiting
for V2 of the SDK to come out.

Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support
College of Chemistry