[Beowulf] Powersave on Beowulf nodes

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Sat Jun 14 20:26:24 EDT 2008

What is about using of powersaved (and dbus and HAL daemons) on
Beowulf nodes ?

Currently I installed SuSE 10.3 where all the corresponding daemons
are running (by default) at the runlevel=3. I simple added issuing of

powersave -f

at the end of booting.

  /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ is empty, and powersave can't give me
temperature and FANs information. I don't see now any serious
advantages of powersaved daemon using in "performance" mode (using
performance scheme).

We have many jobs in SGE at every time moment, and underload situation
(where it's reasonable to decrease CPUs frequency) is not the our
danger :-)  So I'm thinking about simple stopping of all the
corresponding daemons.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow