[Beowulf] RHEL5 network throughput/scalability

Walid walid.shaari at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:31:38 EDT 2008

2008/6/13 Jason Clinton <jclinton at advancedclustering.com>:

> We've seen fairly erratic behavior induced by newer drivers for NVidia
> NForce-based NIC's with forcedeth. If that's your source NIC in the above
> scenario, that could be the source of the issue as congestion timing has
> probably changed. Have you tried updating your source NIC driver to
> whichever is the newest? Nearly all NIC vendors that are incorporated on
> server motherboards put out updated drivers on their websites.
> Jason,

The NIC is broadcom (Bnx2 driver), I have, however i had to go to the
RHEL5.1 kernel as it does not want to compile on the new kernels. however it
did not change much, i have also played with the different congestion
settings, and even though Vegas seems to be the most performance capable,
it still did not solve it, I had one test that i did not write down where it
did perform well, I have saved the sysctl and will check what parameters
have made the difference.