[Beowulf] Infiniband modular switches

Ramiro Alba Queipo raq at cttc.upc.edu
Fri Jun 13 12:52:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 17:55 +0200, Jan Heichler wrote:
> Hallo Ramiro,

> RAQ> The alternatives are:
> RAQ> a) Start with a good 24 port swith and grow up loosing latency
> and
> RAQ> bandwidth
> You can use the 24-port switches to create a full bisectional
> bandwidth network if you want that. Since all the big switches are
> based on the 24-port silicon this is no problem.

Yes, But How many ports must I waste if I do not want to loose to much
And about latency, It could be negligible compared to latency at the
infiniband card (~3 microsecs in front of 480 nanosecs at switch),

> RAQ> c) Use the Flextronix 10U 144 Port Modular solution which will
> allow us
> RAQ> to scale well in a couple years
> But you have to pay now for an expansion that you might never get...
> Or want a fancy new network technology as soon as you upgrade.

Well, I most probably will be needing 48 ports in five months and 120
ports in about a year

Thanks for your answer

Aquest missatge ha estat analitzat per MailScanner
a la cerca de virus i d'altres continguts perillosos,
i es considera que està net.
For all your IT requirements visit: http://www.transtec.co.uk