[Beowulf] size of swap partition

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Mon Jun 9 18:01:40 EDT 2008

A lot of time ago it was formulated simple rule for swap partition
size
(equal to main memory size).

Currently we all have relative large RAM on the nodes (typically, I
beleive, it is 2 or more GB per core; we have 16 GB per dual-socket
quad-core Opteron node). What is typical modern swap size today?

I understand that it depends from applications ;-) We, in particular,
practically don't have jobs which run "out-of-RAM". For single core
dual-socket Opteron nodes w/4GB RAM per node and "molecular modelling
workload" we used 4 GB swap partition.

But what are the reccomendations of modern praxis ?

Mikhail Kuzminksy
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center
Zelinsky Inst. of Organic Chemistry
Moscow