[Beowulf] Re: Religious wars

Bob Drzyzgula bob at drzyzgula.org
Tue Jul 22 11:09:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:54:47AM -0400, Bob Drzyzgula wrote:

> Gosling wrote his Emacs in 1981, and Unipress Emacs started
> shipping in 1983 for $399 per seat.

Sorry -- actually looking again I see it said $395, not
$399, not that this makes any difference. But thinking
back I expect that this was $395 per *system*, which is
only per seat if you're talking about workstations, and
in those days we used workstations as multi-user systems
anyway. I doubt there was any license management mechanism
available at the time that could have enforced a per-user
license. Still, it was a lot of money.

--Bob