Religious wars (was Re: [Beowulf] A press release)

Tim Cutts tjrc at
Tue Jul 22 01:42:22 EDT 2008

On 22 Jul 2008, at 1:05 am, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I just never liked hopping into and out of text insertion mode, and
> even
> though nethack DOES use the vi cursor movement keys to move around
> (this
> was one of the original motivations for the game, IIRC) that doesn't
> mean that I find them particularly natural.

That's them main reason I prefer vim to normal vi.  You can navigate
around the document using the cursor keys *without* having to leave
insertion mode, which makes it a vast amount more useable than normal
vi, for my tastes.

I use vim for most editing tasks, but I do still use emacs for some
things, especially programming - its integration with the perl
debugger and with gdb is very useful, as is the make error-following
mode someone else mentioned.

> IMO, one can be good, really good, at just one editor.

Oh, I don't know - I seem to be able to swap vi and emacs bindings in
and out of my fingers fairly quickly.