Religious wars (was Re: [Beowulf] A press release)

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at
Tue Jul 22 01:30:21 EDT 2008

Joe Landman wrote:
> andrew holway wrote:
>> you should all be ashamed. Especially after all that talk of paper
>> tapes and computers that made heavy clunking sounds etc. I have never
>> even used a 5 1/4 inch floppy in anger.
> [must ... resist ... urge...]
> 5.25 inch floppy?  Luxury!
> [must ... stop ... now....]

Ah, but I've used (and flung) 8" floppies, usually in either anger or
anguish.  And remember when "maximum Maytag" described a hard seek cycle
rather than a washing machine.  Oh, yeah: The washing machine was
considerably lighter than the disk drive described by the term.
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983