Religious wars (was Re: [Beowulf] A press release)

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at
Mon Jul 21 09:43:10 EDT 2008

Hey!  I still code fortran.  I don't require line numbers, save after
those long weekends when I have trouble remembering where my office is...

It's Basic that liked line numbers, RGB.

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Joe Landman wrote:
>> Rumor has it that C-c C-o C-f C-f C-e C-e instructs emacs to make you
>> a cup of coffee. :^
>> I personally want an editor without all these fancy things:  just
>> syntax highlighting for C/C++/Perl/Bash/Tcsh/Fortran/config files,
>> that has line numbers, and intelligent wrapping/splitting.  Can run
>> from a GUI. Does split windows.
>> gvim does all these things.  But you have to be very careful typing.
>> Because it it vi.
>> If Komodo had window splitting and intelligent wrapping, it would be
>> good.
>> I looked at kate, but it requires kde.
>> pico/nano are ok, but they don't do line numbers, or split windows, or
>> intelligent wrapping.
> I don't know if it has all the features you want -- line numbers?  Ugh.
> You must be coding in runes -- oh, wait, I mean Fortran;-) -- but you
> might look at another ancient editor from the elder age of elves and men
> -- jove (Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs).  Call it "emacs lite".  Call
> it "emacs written in C instead of lisp so it isn't infinitely and
> pointlessly extendable".  Call it "I'll have an order of emacs, please,
> but hold the kitchen sink".
> It don't be doin' colors.  It is intelligent enough to do errors in only
> a handful of programming languages.  It can be gussied up a bit with
> macros and keymaps, but we're talking hanging your own pictures on the
> wall, not rebuilding the house so it supports martian lifeforms using
> nothing but lisp.  On a good day it can be enticed into managing
> indentation for you in code
> Now mind you, jove doesn't do GUI's.  xterm, please, and none of these
> fancy "smart" xterms, neither, just the plain old vanilla xterm.  You
> can split screens, edit 3 or four files at once, invoke make from inside
> and keystroke through errors.  Once upon a time I did use it to run an
> editable shell in a subwindow (this was before e.g. bash or tcsh, when
> if you wanted editing in /bin/sh or /bin/csh you had to do it this way)
> but tcsh or bash are both much better native and I haven't done it for
> years.
> The bad thing about jove is that so few people still use it that it
> doesn't ever make it into e.g. fedora.  I'm sure it is in Debian (what
> isn't?).  I have a perfectly functional personal rpm build, though (and
> would be happy to donate it to your cause), and the FIRST thing I do
> when moving into a new system is import jove's rpm and do a rebuild and
> install.  Otherwise I can't function.
> I just use one editor, you see.  I'm typing this reply in jove.  I use
> jove to write poetry and prose (latex makefiles and templates).  I use
> jove to write C.  perl.  php.  text.  I resort to ooffice only in
> desperation, and then get pissed when Ctrl-A or Ctrl-Shift-< don't do
> what they are "supposed" to do (move me to head of line or head of
> [...]

Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983