[Beowulf] Update on mpi problem

Dries Kimpe Dries.Kimpe at cs.kuleuven.be
Sat Jul 12 11:04:36 EDT 2008

* Ashley Pittman <apittman at concurrent-thinking.com> [2008-07-10 12:44:26]:

> That doesn't necessarily follow, if you are posing your sends before
> your receives then you are relying on unexpected message buffering
> within the MPI library.  How much of this is available is up the the
> library, not the standard so I think it's possible that openmpi is being
> MPI compliant in both cases.

The latter is easy to check: replace all MPI_Send and MPI_Rsend by
MPI_Ssend. (MPI_Isend / MPI_Irsend -> MPI_Issend)

You can do this through the profiling interface
(create a library that provides MPI_Isend, MPI_Irsend, MPI_Send, MPI_Rsend
and just calls PMPI_(I)ssend; link it before linking mpi)

If it hangs, it will be at the point where the application relies on
buffering within the MPI library.

  Greetings,
  Dries