[Beowulf] zfs tuning for HJPC/cluster workloads?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jul 5 22:50:21 EDT 2008

Chris Samuel wrote:
> ----- "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
>> I think I understand why they don't want benchmarks published.
> :-)
> Don't forget that FreeBSD 7 includes ZFS support, so
> there's another option for you there.

Not sure we can do this, as the user is looking at Linux and Solaris.
Introducing a third element might not fly (and the commercial software
they want to run is restricted to Linux, Windows, and Solaris).

> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS
> https://www.ish.com.au/solutions/articles/freebsdzfs

Maybe we will try benchmarking with that.

>> I just want this file system to be about on par with
>> its Linux counterpart on the same hardware.
> I reckon if you're going to compare apples to apples
> then you probably want to test it against a Linux
> checksumming filesystem, the only real contender
> I'm aware of being btrfs (still pre-alpha).
> http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/
> Alternatively you can disable checksumming on a ZFS
> volume and retest it against XFS, etc.
> zfs set checksum=off  foo/bar

I did turn off checksum, zil, and other things.  No dice.  Zfs does not
appear to do well with hardware accelerated RAID.

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com