[Beowulf] zfs tuning for HJPC/cluster workloads?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sat Jul 5 22:24:19 EDT 2008

----- "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> I think I understand why they don't want benchmarks published.

:-)

Don't forget that FreeBSD 7 includes ZFS support, so
there's another option for you there.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS

https://www.ish.com.au/solutions/articles/freebsdzfs

> I just want this file system to be about on par with
> its Linux counterpart on the same hardware.

I reckon if you're going to compare apples to apples
then you probably want to test it against a Linux
checksumming filesystem, the only real contender
I'm aware of being btrfs (still pre-alpha).

http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/

Alternatively you can disable checksumming on a ZFS
volume and retest it against XFS, etc.

zfs set checksum=off  foo/bar

cheers!
Chris