[Beowulf] Re: energy costs and poor grad students

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Jul 3 14:13:46 EDT 2008

Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>> You don't need to go this far. Just set up the hostfile to use the same
>>> host name several times. Just make sure you don't start swapping :)
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> Unless the problem is configuring interhost communications correctly.
>>

> Then how does using VM's fix this problem? I'm not sure I understand you
> comment.

I was thinking like a SysAdmin, not a developer. I've had plenty of
experiences where nodes aren't communicating b/c someone hosed up the
machines file, .rhosts file, and other stuff like that. I guess it's not
really relevant if your focusing only on developing an MPI app, not not
administering a cluster.

--
Prentice

PS - I just realized who I was talking to. Thanks for the articles on
parallel filesystems. Very good. I read them all.