[Beowulf] Cheap SDR IB

Håkon Bugge Hakon.Bugge at scali.com
Thu Jan 31 04:50:50 EST 2008

At 21:01 30.01.2008, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>whenever I ask about IB bandwidth, people always point fingers
>at weather codes, which apparently are fond of doing the transpose
>in multi-dimension FFT's using all-to-all.  while convenient, this
>seems a bit silly, since transpose is O(N) communications, not O(N^2).

Mark,

interconnect does matter. Here is a solid benchmark using WRF, 128
cores, Woodcrest 3.00GHz. System spec can be found at
http://www.spec.org/mpi2007/results/res2007q4/mpi2007-20071013-00029.html

Scali MPI Connect 5.6.2 using IB (IB as specified in the link above):
  Success 127.wrf2 base mref ratio 21.03, runtime 370.653066

Scali MPI Connect 5.6.2 using Gbe (Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708
1000Base-T (B2), Broadcom NetXtreme II Gigabit Ethernet Driver bnx2
v1.3.29, 9k MTU, Switch? Jeff, can you fill in here, the system
should be familiar to you):
  Success 127.wrf2 base mref ratio=4.82, runtime=1618.248048

That's a pretty decent advantage to IB, isn't?

Thanks, Hakon