[Beowulf] Re: Setting up a new Beowulf cluster

Mark Kosmowski mark.kosmowski at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 07:38:21 EST 2008

Regarding this thread going off-topic - I was amused by RGB's static
anecdote during a rather busy day at work, so am thankful it was shared.

To add my own on-topic contribution, I do solid-state chemistry calculations
and ran into the 32-bit memory limitations of Linux early on.  This led me
to attempt to learn mpi (not wholly successfully) about 5 years ago and then
to jump onto the Opteron architecture as budget permitted.  I do not know if
the OP's work will require more than 1 - 2 Gb per process like mine does
(I'm doing my graduate research on my personal humble 3 node dual-Opteron
cluster - I added two nodes about a year ago and my earlier floundering with
mpi has paid off - everything works now).

Even if the OP's work does need 64-bit memory space, the fileserver / backup
machine could still be 32-bit and not used as a compute node.  Don't
overlook periodic DVD burning as an archiving possibility.

!DSPAM:47b5f397250261396896698!