[Beowulf] centos5 as cluster os

Alan Louis Scheinine ascheinine at tuffmail.us
Fri Feb 15 10:35:46 EST 2008

I use Centos.  For years and years I have compiled
from source Gnu Scientific Library and many, many
other software packages.  I write notes while doing
the compiling from scratch so the next compilation
of the same package is rapid.  I also compile gcc (g++, etc.)
from scratch.  The result is that a user can stick with
the old gcc and old package until he or she feels ready
to move-on.  Both the new and old packages are available.

Personally I cannot imagine using software applications
as found in any distribution.  For any user request, I
compile from scratch from the software WWW site. Doesn't
everybody do this?

best regards,
Alan Scheinine