[Beowulf] vmware perfomance

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Feb 15 10:17:33 EST 2008

> Hi! I am new in clustering, and I want to begin with the Beowulf Cluster,
> but I have one doubt: vmware enjoy the performance of the cluster? I mean,
> using the Beowulf cluster i will have a better perfomance with the vmware??
> Will vmware work faster and better?

certainly not.  _nothing_ works better on a cluster - that's not the point.
the point of HPC clusters is to make it easy to use many (same-speed)
processes at the same time, often cooperating in the same job (MPI).
the basic assumption of HPC clusters is that all processes are, or should be,

vmware is completely orthogonal to this, and is mainly targetted at
non-compute-bound processes like webservers.  by virtualizing such
"sparsely-executing" programs, they can be overlapped and share a smaller
number of resources.  the ideal host for vm hosting would be as big an SMP
as you can get your hands on.