[Beowulf] What's the category of Beowulf among Clusters?

Toon Moene toon at moene.org
Mon Dec 29 13:48:22 EST 2008

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Mark Hahn wrote:
>>> what's the category of Beowulf like clusters?
>> beowulf is compute clustering using mostly commodity hardware and
>> mostly open-source software.
> And if you want to be really picky, it should be an architecture that
> "looks like a supercomputer"

"looks like a supercomputer" ?

The last time I made a 4-CPU, 64-bit vector machine with 512 MWords of
memory ready for operations (that description now fits the home machine
sitting 3 feet from the tip of my nose), I had a Cray engineer on site
to guide me through the process.

"Supercomputer" - hah, humbug.

Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.org (*NEW*) - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/