[Beowulf] Not all cores are created equal

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Dec 24 05:03:38 EST 2008

----- "John Hearns" <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:

> SGI Altix have 'bootcpusets' which means you can slice
> off one or two processors to take care of OS housekeeping
> tasks,

Now that cpusets have been in the mainline kernel for
some time you should be able to do this with any modern
distro.

I contemplated doing this on our Barcelona cluster, but
sacrificing 1 core in 8 was a bit too much of a high price
to pay.  But people with higher core counts per node might
find it attractive.

cheers,
Chris