[Beowulf] What's the category of Beowulf among Clusters?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Sat Dec 20 15:29:13 EST 2008

When the topic of history comes up I always suggest
getting it from the source:

Beowulf Breakthroughs: The Path to Commodity Supercomputing
by Tom Sterling

Plus I always point back to the definition introduced in the original
"How to Build a Beowulf book (Thomas Sterling, John Salmon, Donald J.
Becker and Daniel F. Savarese, MIT Press, ISBN 0-262-69218-X):

  A Beowulf is a collection of personal computers interconnected
  by widely-available networking technology running one of several
  open source, Unix- like operating systems.

Note that "personal computers" was used as the whole "x86 server" market
had not even developed (think Pentium Pro era) as the web was in
it's infancy.