[Beowulf] max number of NFS threads: NFS config optimization

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Dec 19 22:29:22 EST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 at 7:32pm, Rahul Nabar wrote

> More relevant though: Any ways / hacks to monitor , say, for 24 hours
> of system run how many concurrent requests I've had? Perhaps I can
> script something together for diagnostics?

cat /proc/net/rpc/nfsd

Have a look at the line that starts with "th".  The numbers after th
represent, from left to right:

  o The number of threads
  o The number of times requests have had to wait b/c all threads were busy
  o The amount of time 10% of the threads have been busy
  o The amount of time 20% of the threads have been busy
  o and so on, up to 100% of the threads.

You want that 2nd number (and, by extension, the last number) to be 0 or
at least very low.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin