[Beowulf] Newbie Question: Racks versus boxes and good rack solutions for commodity hardware

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 18 04:15:33 EST 2008

2008/12/16 Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl>

> That's what we did do (not in cuda, simply at the pc).
> A single core P4 can render a second or 10 of animations of an entire scene
> within a few minutes.
> That's a 3d engine in C/C++ code, not even using SSE2 assembler.

Where do you get these figures from?

The rule of thumb I was used to was that a single frame of an animated
feature film will take an hour to render.
What happens when CPU horsepower increases is that animators use more
sophisticated rendering.
Let's think of the original Toy Story - the toys all happened to have flat
surfaces in the main.
Move on a couple of years to Monsters Inv and Shrek and you start to see the
creatures having realistic moving fur - but the rendering time per frame
stays about constant.