[Beowulf] Newbie Question: Racks versus boxes and good rack solutions for commodity hardware

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Dec 17 23:31:34 EST 2008

----- "Vincent Diepeveen" <diep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> It sure takes a couple of minutes to render animations in high
> resolutions, yet i'm quite amazed you need more hardware for this,
> yes even a cluster.

I might be missing something with your argument, but
surely if this was the case then there would no need
for the *only* Australian HPC system on the Top500 to
be at Animal Logic (Happy Feet) and the 4 New Zealand
systems on the Top500 to all to be identical clusters
at Weta Digital (Kong, LotR, etc) ?

Sad that neither country can manage to get a
scientific HPC system on there (for now).. :-(

cheers,
Chris