[Beowulf] MPICH upgrade question

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 15 16:39:41 EST 2008

2008/12/14 Gregg Germain <saville at comcast.net>

> Hi all,
>
>  This is a little more in the way of a systems question:
>
>  I'm presently running a cluster with mpich2-1.0.6p1 installed in
> /usr/local.
>
>  I want to upgrade to mpich2-1.0.8.
>
>  Should I run the 1.0.6 Make uninstall first?

mv /usr/local/mpich2   /usr/local/mpich2-1.0.6p1

Install version 1.0.8

A smart thing to do is to install version 1.0.8 to /usr/local/mpich2-1.0.8
then create a link from /usr/local/mpich2 to point to this.
Then, if you put /usr/local/mpich2 {bin/lib} into your path as a user you
will always be up to date.

At this point, the clustering gods are laughing at me.
An even smarter thing to do is to use modules
modules.sourceforge.net
There will be a modules RPM available for your distribution

Short answer - no need to uninstall. Just move it to one side.