[Beowulf] SSD prices

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Dec 11 16:38:57 EST 2008

I was recently surprised to learn that SSD prices are down in the
$2-$3 per gbyte range. I did a survey of one brand (OCZ) at NexTag
and it was:

256 gigs = $700
128 gigs =  300
 64 gigs =  180
 32 gigs =   70

Also, Micron is saying that they're going to get into the business of
PCIe-attached flash, which will give us a second source for what
Fusion-io is shipping today.

If you're on the "I like a real system disk" side of the
diskless/diskfull fence, these SSDs ought to be a lot more reliable
than tradtional disks. And I'd like to get rid of the mirrored
disks in our developer desktops...

-- greg