[Beowulf] Newbie Question: Racks versus boxes and good rack solutions for commodity hardware

arjuna brahmaforces at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 00:51:57 EST 2008

Hello all again:

I thought I would add a little more background about myself and the intended
cluster. I am an artist and a computer programmer and am planning on using
this cluster as a starting point to do research on building an ideal cluster
for Animation for my own personal/entrepreneurial work. It would reside in
my art studio. As an artist the idea of rack mounting the commodity PCS is
much more fun that piling up the PCS.

I was thinking of working with a local hardware friend and figuring out how
to screw on motherboards onto hardware type racks. Im sure there are better
tried and tested racks out there that are not expensive. Any suggestions on
the actual physical hardware for constructing racks for upto 16PCs.

Also any thoughts on racks versus piles of PCS.

A lot of the posts on the internet are old and out of date. I am wondering
what the upto date trends are in racking commodity computers to create
beowulf clusters. What should i be reading?

--
Best regards,
arjuna