[Beowulf] Personal Introduction & First Beowulf Cluster Question

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Dec 8 16:31:12 EST 2008

Gus Correa wrote:

>> I really wish I could get away with using ROCKS as there would be such a
>> greater reach back for me over SUSE.  Right now I am exploring
>> AutoYast to
>> push the OS out to the compute nodes,

This is what we use for building SuSE clusters.  It is actually not
painful.  We have operational autoyast.xml for 10.x and 9.3.

Basically you boot it with a pointer to the autoyast file and get out of
the way.

[...]

> That is true.
> Tell bosses they are asking you to reinvent the Rocks wheel.

Hmmm ....  Rocks isn't everything, and there are a number of criticisms
that certainly could be leveled at the system.  I won't go there right
now, but it is worth noting, just as with Linux != Redhat, Linux Cluster
!= Rocks clusters.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO