[Beowulf] Intro question

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Dec 8 09:20:31 EST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Joe Landman wrote:

> The MDGrape guys might have a thing or three to say.  They have been
> demonstrating some pretty awesome performance for years.

True, but my impression was that they were focused on getting the most
performance from one unit, while the DEShaw approach factored in a
high degree of parallelization from the beginning.

I've heard the talk in Dresden earlier this year and I liked hearing
about an idea that I've also had some time ago but not heard talking
about on this list: interconnect hardware being able to DMA directly
to/from CPU cache. I don't know how useful such a feature is for a
general purpose interconnect (or MPI library) but it certainly fits
well in the specialized frame of molecular dynamics (or rather, of how
MD is implemented today).

Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de