[Beowulf] copying big files (Henning Fehrmann)

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Sat Aug 9 02:50:31 EDT 2008

Hi

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Is there a reason bittorrent isn't suited to this application?

Our investigations so far showed that bittorrent is only good if the
files to be transferred fit well into main memory. If you exceed about
90-95% of the RAM your disks will be accessed a lot and the performance
breaks down a lot (we have seen close to wirespeed in the beginning and
in the end we were crawling with mere few 10 kByte/s).

Cheers

Carsten

--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert - Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany