[Beowulf] copying big files

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Aug 8 13:36:54 EDT 2008

stephen mulcahy <smulcahy at aplpi.com> writes:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> bittorrent works quite well, and is trivial to use. It will use all
>> your IO bandwidth between all nodes (which is what you want I
>> presume.)
> What is the simplest app for setting up this kind of local torrenting
> setup?

Bittorrent itself, or bittornado which is a slightly improved
version. They're written in python and trivial to install.

> I've used public torrents before but assumed you needed a
> tracker or something - or is that just for sharing them with the
> public?

You do need a tracker, but "bttrack" comes with bittorrent or
bittornado and works just fine. You can launch it from the command
line in seconds. You also need to create a .torrent file, which you do
with "btmakemetafile", which also comes with the bittorrent or
bittornado package.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com