[Beowulf] Kerberos + HPC

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Aug 5 12:59:30 EDT 2008

Prentice Bisbal <prentice at ias.edu> writes:
> John Hearns wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 15:37 +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:
>>
>>> We'd prefer to steer clear of Kerberos, it introduces
>>> arbitrary job limitations through ticket lives that
>>> are not tolerable for HPC work.
>>
>> Kerberos is heavily used at CERN. They have a solution for that issue -
>> the job can ask for an extension to the tickets.
>> Sorry, I don't have a reference handy but its worth documenting this for
>> the list.
>
> If ANYONE has more information on how this is done at CERN, I'd be very
> interested in hearing about it. I know, I know... GIYF...

I doubt they're dong anything unusual -- this is a completely normal
thing any Kerberos setup deals with. You just stash the private key on
the server, request a long ticket lifetime and refresh reasonably
tickets frequently.  Standard documentation can tell you how to do
it -- just read the manuals.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com