[Beowulf] OpenMP vs. MPI benchmark for multi-core machines?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Apr 17 13:43:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:38:41PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:

> Is there such a benchmark that I can refer to? I am increasingly
> convinced that OpenMP/pthread is required only in extreme cases, but I
> need some numbers to prove that (to myself and my advisor).

I can point to several examples of codes which have both an MPI and
OpenMP version, where the MPI code runs faster. Locality is your
friend.

Unfortunately, the most obvious set to compare (NAS Parallel
Benchmarks) uses different serial algorithms for the OpenMP and MPI
codes :-/

This topic has come up several times on this list in the past year.

-- greg