[Beowulf] "Code" vs. "Codes"

Rachelle Hinrichs rachelle at ural.wustl.edu
Tue Apr 1 15:46:37 EDT 2008

> From: Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>
> English has super-plurals:
> http://d.a.nicolas.free.fr/research/Linnebo-Nicolas-Superplurals.pdf
> rgb knows this, but he was pretending like he doesn't use "all-y'all"
> all the time...
> Anyway, the reason I suggested the OED is that they often have early
> usage quotes, which may well include examples of 'codes'. I can only
> access the free version, which shows that they do have the definition,
> but doesn't include the examples.
> -- greg

Wow, that English article reads like a math paper...

This thread is fascinating! It seems to be a convergence of my two
favorite email lists: Beowulf and A Word A Day. Y'all are fantastic! And
RGB, you never cease to amaze me.

You can get more delicious English language tidbits served up at

Rachelle (both a regular computer geek, and a word nerd, and apparently,
not alone! ;)

Rachelle Hinrichs
Department of Genetics
Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO
rachelle at ural.wustl.edu