[Beowulf] Big storage

Xavier Canehan canehan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 15:14:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Bruce Allen <ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu>
wrote:

> PPS: We've also been doing some experiments with putting OpenSolaris+ZFS
> > > on some of our generic (Supermicro + Areca) 16-disk RAID systems, which were
> > > originally intended to run Linux.
> > >
> >  I think that DESY proved some data corruption with such configuration,
> > so
> > they switched to OpenSolaris+ZFS.
> >

> I'm confused.  I am also talking about OpenSolaris+ZFS.  What did DESY
> try, and what did they switch to?

Sorry, I am indeed not clear.
As far as I know, DESY found data corruption using Linux and Areca cards.
They moved from linux to OpenSolaris and ZFS, avoiding other corruption.
This has been discussed in HEPiX storage workgroup.
However, I can not speak on their behalf at all. I'll try to get you in
touch with someone more aware of this issue, as my statements lack of
figures.

Regards,

X.

!DSPAM:48078a40182358362916074!