[Beowulf] impressions of Super Micro IPMI management cards?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Mon Oct 22 09:31:16 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm a huge fan of demanding complete control over a remote cluster
node via a serial console device or embedded management processor.
Most of my recent experience though is with Sun ILOM system
processors and the like.

I'm currently looking at a whitebox server vendor and the remote
management technology they propose is a Super Micro IPMI add-on card,
apparently from this family of products: http://www.supermicro.com/
products/accessories/addon/SIM.cfm

My needs are pretty minimal -- remote power control. BIOS access and
the ability to trigger a PXE boot off the network. Anything else is
just supplemental.

Does anyone have any experience/impressions of the "Supermicro
Intelligent Management" stuff?

Regards,
Chris