[Beowulf] Parallel Development Tools

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 06:08:13 EDT 2007

On 17 Oct 2007, at 10:30 am, andrew holway wrote:

> Apt-cache with a bit of grep is a powerful tool indeed.
> $apt-cache search foo | grep bar
> everyone I work with however prefers yum. They regard Debian as being
> a bit backward.

I'm not familiar with yum, so I can't really comment.  However, apt-
cache is of course the "previous" generation of package management
tools, and these days aptitude is recommended instead.  I guess you
could say that apt-{get,cache} are to aptitude as apt-rpm was to
yum.  I guess these things are always likely to leap-frog each other,
as each distro sees what's good and bad in the current tools
available with other distros, and copies/improves those features as

I've been reading the aptitude documentation this morning, as it
happens, and there's all sorts of useful stuff it can do above what
apt-cache could manage, and it's solved a number of long-standing
problems I've had...  in particular its search functionality is
*much* improved over apt-cache.