[Beowulf] Intel quad core nodes?

Barnet Wagman b.wagman at comcast.net
Mon Oct 8 13:17:15 EDT 2007

I'm moving towards setting up a small cluster (my first), and am
thinking about using Intel quad core processors.  However, I'm a little
concerned about memory contention.  I'm (tentatively) going to have one
processor per node (this appears to be the cheapest way to go), but I
still wonder whether four cores will choke Intel's memory architecture.
(AMD's Barcelona may be better in this regard, but it doesn't seem to be
available yet, at least not through retail channels).

I'd like to hear any opinions on this issue.  And if you've used quad
core processors, I'd certainly like to hear about your experiences
(including which processor you've used).

thanks

PS I couldn't find any discussion of Intel's quad core processors in the
archive, but if I missed one, please point me to it.