[Beowulf] best linux distribution

Tim Carlson tim.carlson at pnl.gov
Mon Oct 8 11:44:52 EDT 2007

> From: Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] best linux distribution
> To: Seyed Abouzar Najafi Shoshtari <anajafi at mail.ipm.ir>
> Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
>
> <NOMEX>
> Fedora core 6 is where I'd start today.  SuSE 10.x is a very good second
> choice.  We've also tried ROCKS and haven't been too impressed.  ROCKS
> installs easily and replicates to the nodes but FC6 and kickstart is
> just too easy and offers a bit more usability in our experience
> </nomex>
>
> gerry

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Rocks "replicates" to the nodes.
All the nodes in a Rocks cluster are built using kickstart and you can
modify the package list, disk layout, etc through editing of XML files.

http://www.rocksclusters.org/rocks-documentation/4.3/customization.html

Tim Carlson
Voice: (509) 376 3423
Email: Tim.Carlson at pnl.gov
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
HPCaNS: High Performance Computing and Networking Services