[Beowulf] best linux distribution

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Oct 8 13:21:21 EDT 2007

Mark Hahn wrote:

> up-to-date.  from a quick glance at the SL-5.0 readme, the number
> of customizations is quite small, so I do wonder what the point is.
> (_not_ meant as a criticism!).

SL exists to populate the huge data centres at CERN and Fermilab,
and as a consequence many, many HEP groups have adopted it.
The point is similar to CentOS - the bottom line cost.

However, there have been discussions on the SL list about future
releases, and having SL as an 'overlay' on top of CentOS,
ie. an additional set of repositories with the Fermilab/CERN needd
packages (for instance AFS support, Castor, Cernlibs...)
I don't claim to know what stage these have reached, or if there is any
seriousness in this.