[Beowulf] Naive question: mpi-parallel program in multicore CPUs

Larry Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Tue Oct 2 14:52:21 EDT 2007

The question of OpenMP vs MPI has been around for a long time,
for example:

My general impression is that it is a waste of time to convert from pure
MPI to
a hybrid approach. For example:

On the other hand, here's a fellow who got a 4X speedup by going to hybrid:

My own view is that with a modern cluster with fast processors and with
inter-node communications not
that much slower than a cache miss to main memory, the unified MPI model
makes more sense, but
there are many many papers arguing about this topic.