[Beowulf] Software RAID?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Nov 24 23:52:25 EST 2007

stephen mulcahy wrote:

> I'd note that battery backed caches on the RAID cards I've looked at in
> the last few months seem to come at a *significant* premium over the
> base price of the card (50-100% type significant).

Hmmm.... those must be either really expensive batteries, or really
cheap cards then.  Typical battery prices we see are ~$100USD.  Typical
card prices (for good cards) start around $300USD and go up from there ...

> Not a reason not to opt for it, but the cost-benefit of a battery-backed
> cache versus a UPS backed server might be worth investigating.

A good rack mount UPS will be ~$1000USD or more.  A good deskside UPS
would be about 1/4th of that.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO