[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Nov 20 20:07:23 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 at 4:28pm, Jim Lux wrote

> Quoting Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com>, on Tue 20 Nov 2007
> 04:09:04 PM PST:

>> Anyone need an adjunct ... :) I was under the impression that the
>> license fees were much stiffer than that.  For a cluster, $100*N for N
>> = 16 .. 32 is not bad at all.  Or am I missing something.
>
> That's the price for a student getting a copy for their own machine.  They
> have other schemes for students running on university owned machines, etc.
> (all carefully designed to avoid rampant illegal copying, I'm sure)

Also keep in mind that the student edition includes none of the handy
toolboxes mentioned upthread.  To get those you must buy the "full"
edition.  Also, the student edition generally lags well behind the full
edition version-wise.

> You do raise an interesting question.  Would one student running an
> application on N machines need N copies under their academic student license?

Almost certainly yes.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin