[Beowulf] Re: Emergency Power Off

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:23:54 EDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, David Mathog wrote:

> experiment:  consider a data center with 1000 separate 750VA
> UPS systems, none of which have an EPO.  Not very safe, is it?)

Especially if you rate it in terms of hours -- 750 KVA-hours (call it
600 KW-hrs) is a fair bit of energy no matter how it is released.  A bit
over 2 gigajoules, if I'm not screwing up my arithmetic.

But then, a single under the table desktop system 250 VA ten minutes UPS
is more than enough to kill you dead.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu