[Beowulf] The recently solved Lie Group problem E8

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:45:47 EDT 2007

Times have sure changed; with Wiles and Fermat's Last Theorm in newspapers
for over a year, then "A Beautiful Mind" from Hollywood; it's almost not
surprising that the solution of a difficult math problem is mentioned at
CNN.com.

The Exceptional Lie Group E8 computation just got done (some info at
http://www.aimath.org/E8/computerdetails.html about the details of the
computation itself). Reference to the system SAGE is a bit ambiguous; it's
the name of a symbolic mathematics package and apparently also a 16-node
system at the same University of Washington. Natually I was curious about
the computer, but ironically, it seems that while they can handle a matrix
with half a million rows and colums each (and each entry is a polynomial of
degree up to 22, with 7 digit coeficients), their departmental web server
can't handle the load of all of CNN's readership browsing at once :-)

The group E8 itself, together with some explanation of the recent news, is
in wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E8_%28mathematics%29

Dr Brown might explain better than I could how sometimes the best way to
understand a thing is to break it down into simple groups of symmetries.
Apparently, one of the funky things about E8 is that the "easiest way to
understand it" is itself.

Peter

!DSPAM:46015375190492020149523!