[Beowulf] Re: Emergency Power Off

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 20 17:07:43 EDT 2007

At 01:25 PM 3/20/2007, David Mathog wrote:
> > At 04:20 PM 3/19/2007, David Mathog wrote:
>
>On further consideration, that common ground might be
>a problem.  On the one hand it's effectively running from one
>serial port to another and generally that's ok.  On the other
>hand, if for whatever reason one or more of the grounds is
>a volt or two higher than another one, that could result
>in quite a current running on that signal wire.  This would
>probably be safer:

or use diodes.  e.g. 1n5711 or 1N5401

Given that there is probably an alternate grounding path, you
probably want two diodes for each UPS (one in each line).

or, get a switch with 5 sets of contacts and use 5 sets of batteries
(I assume you were using Alkaline 9V batteries?)

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075