[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Mar 15 14:38:15 EDT 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Leif Nixon wrote:

> "Peter St. John" <peter.st.john at gmail.com> writes:
>> I had thought that after some point (say, f77) the practical thing was to
>> translate fortran to C and use the C compiler, just because compiler writers
>> love C, adopted it hugely, and write great compilers. Apparently I was
>> mistaken.
> Compilers are designed to compile code written by humans.
> Autogenerated code typically does not optimize well.

Or be human-readable.  f2c code was just about as evil as any zomby
woof or eskimo boy could be.  I used to try to use it to START porting
fortran sources to C, but rapidly concluded that it was actually easier
and saner to just rewrite the algorithms in native C by hand.  It was a
really educational experience for those that would assert that fortran
is "just like" C on the back end, though -- "just like" is well defined
by the required compatibility libraries and stuff that has to be done to
convert data structures.  They were not, not, not pretty...

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu